Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mi Rant

image source
A couple days ago I went to my doctor for personal health concerns and was directed for some testing in a different department in the hospital. As I sat in the large and slightly crowded waiting rooms waiting to be taken by a nurse for my testing, I witnessed the pitiful human condition of absolute disrespect towards health workers and a cocky ego. Some sporadic individuals would prance right into the waiting room and steam off some nasty attitudes towards the nurses at the front desk. One person came in cussing and throwing f-bombs at the nurses because the person had to wait a while for one nurse to take the person for testing. Absolute indecency! My mom works at the front desk as a nurse at one of the hospitals in Chicago, and every day she comes back home tired and exhausted. But not from the work...from the nastily-behaved people who prance and loiter their illogical hatred at the health community. I mean politely, wtf, right? Have some respect for the people who try to help you. Do you have any savoir vivre to realize that going to the hospital for treatment is not some swindle business where you have to establish your ego? This is exactly an ego problem! Some people don't realize that they are not the center of the world where others must gravitate towards their immediate demands and desires. Have them realize, Copernicus made the discovery centuries ago: We are NOT the center of the universe, so stop behaving as if your ego were. I understand some people have issues but in some cases it's a pole well bent. To those people: Don't overdo it with the ego. Have some patience, respect, and decency because you perhaps blacken yourself with your own ego. Beware future nurses: being offended is part of the job but keep a smile and forget about it.
     

8 comments:

  1. One of my best friends parents are nurses, and the stories he tell me of people like this are amazing. People routinely talk back to them and expect them to have whatever they want done right away as if they are some type of special snowflake. Those types of people are the worst, the ones that flaunt ego right in front of someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a nurse or doctor (though I do have goals of becoming one) but I too work the front desk of a salon and can honestly say that I have had my fair share of coming home exhausted from having to deal with poorly mannered individuals who have no respect for others but themselves and their needs. As I stated earlier I have aspirations of working as a doctor and can honestly say I fear having to deal with the clients that I encounter at the job I have now let alone in the stressful environment of a hospital. I genuinely agree with the point that you made about people being too prideful and having such big egos it clouds everything else that potentially could classify them as a "good person".

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad is a dentist and I work in his office sometimes as the receptionist. I myself have witnessed many nasty patients and sometimes their complaints are easy to brush off, but others really stick to me. People love to nag about anything they can, whether they have too long of a wait, or something is too expensive, or they blame everything else on their pain rather than their responsibility to come for regular checkups and cleanings. I dont know why bitter patients dont understand that the people who work in healthcare professions are people just like they are and are not in control of the patients pain or problems, but are there to HELP. There is no miracle to make appointments go faster, or to necessarily make things exactly the way patients want them to. There have been many days working in the office I wish I could call out rude patients for their unnecessary behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad is a dentist and I work in his office sometimes as the receptionist. I myself have witnessed many nasty patients and sometimes their complaints are easy to brush off, but others really stick to me. People love to nag about anything they can, whether they have too long of a wait, or something is too expensive, or they blame everything else on their pain rather than their responsibility to come for regular checkups and cleanings. I dont know why bitter patients dont understand that the people who work in healthcare professions are people just like they are and are not in control of the patients pain or problems, but are there to HELP. There is no miracle to make appointments go faster, or to necessarily make things exactly the way patients want them to. There have been many days working in the office I wish I could call out rude patients for their unnecessary behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way. As someone who has spent a fair share of their time in doctor's offices and hospitals, I have witnessed numerous people who just have absolutely no regard for the staff or even the patients around them. I don't know why people feel that they are more entitled to the treatment and care these people give us but it really gets on my nerves. The fact they these people are so rude to a person whose only job is to make you healthy and well is just beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can really relate to your rant. I don't work at a hospital yet, but I do work in the front desk at the Business Office here at Lewis. Let me tell you, some of the people here are extremely rude. Some days we'll have angry students come in demanding their refund check when we have no control over when it is that they receive their refund. Just the other day, my co-worker received a phone call from an angry lady cussing at her because the lady gave the wrong address to the school so she never received her refund check. Not only did she swear, but also insulted her. I can only imagine how bad nurses may have it being under so much stress and then having patients disrespect them in what supposed to be a professional environment. To makes things even more difficult for the nurses, they probably have to be able to maintain their cool. Good rant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can really relate to your rant. I don't work at a hospital yet, but I do work in the front desk at the Business Office here at Lewis. Let me tell you, some of the people here are extremely rude. Some days we'll have angry students come in demanding their refund check when we have no control over when it is that they receive their refund. Just the other day, my co-worker received a phone call from an angry lady cussing at her because the lady gave the wrong address to the school so she never received her refund check. Not only did she swear, but also insulted her. I can only imagine how bad nurses may have it being under so much stress and then having patients disrespect them in what supposed to be a professional environment. To makes things even more difficult for the nurses, they probably have to be able to maintain their cool. Good rant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. First, I love this: "going to the hospital for treatment is not some swindle business where you have to establish your ego." Fantastic. I love that you refer to it as a "swindle" (when it's not -- your point, to be sure). Second, as a person who has spent her fair share (MORE THAN?!) of time in hospitals (esp for my '94 craniotomy), I can say that going to the hospital often takes me "out of myself," which is weird because ego is about being all up in oneself. I think what I mean is that I am not at my best or highest self at the hospital. I let myself wonder/worry about dying (a lot). And then, I don't do "sick" or "near sickness and death" very well at all. When I was in for my brain surgery, I often thought, "These nurses are where it's at. This is God's Own Work," and I blessed many of them in quiet late night prayers because as they tended to me I was just needy and quiet and afraid.

    I'm taking too long w/ my own anecdotes. I suppose I'd love to see a study about the psychology of hospital stays, even brief outpatient visits. What does it do to us? Or are we all really awful? (wait. don't answer that!!) :)

    ReplyDelete