Thursday, April 9, 2015

Rational Argument Project Memo Update #2

Background on the Project: 

Previously, my paper focused deeply on the mathematics in nature and how it ranges and influences the perceptions of different societies at various levels of modernization. This time I want to take a step back and just want to leave mathematics at the stand and ask it for a reason why it considers itself important. Here I attempt to explore mathematics not from the bland side that it may seem, but rather I want to seek out how mathematics influences human perception on the world. Why is is that some cultures have a predominantly rectangular geometry and others choose a bit more exotic curved geometry. I want to argue the importance of mathematics for the universal language it is and its ability to express creativity in a variety of ways. I want to delve into some exciting and unorthodox applications of mathematics and deduce how mathematics influences perception. How does fractal geometry and the mathematics of nature influence traditional art, philosophy, and architecture?
  How does rectangularity and its predominance in modern architecture influence modern perception on life, art, philosophy, and the structure on history. Mathematics and its influence on our special perception and our perception on beauty. Finally, I want to rationally argue the vital and prolific presence of mathematics in almost all fields of study, and argue why it serves as a fundamental universal language for all humanity. 

Discussion of Achievements: 

I rhetorically analyzed my first three academic resources. I analyzed the writers of these academic pieces predominantly from their appeal to logos through different modes of rhetoric. I also included two additional academic sources that explore the mathematical definition of beauty and the importance of mathematics as a contributor to all fields of study. One of my sources is authored by Sir Timothy Gowers, the renown British mathematician who explains the influence of mathematics on the world today in his keynote addresses at a conference at the prestigious Clay Mathematics Institute. I hope to deduce some important conclusions from this source. 

Discussion of Problems: 

Although the flow of my essay is coming on quite well, I must refine my sources to only the specific ones that address my issue at hand. I am still working on narrowing down my thesis and main idea of my paper. 

The Work Ahead: 

I must find coherent sources from all the needed fields that support or disprove my premise. I must summarize these sources and analyze their rhetoric.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment